Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Turning Point For Me!

skating dress 

This is the sewing project that became my turning point. For many years my "sewing comfort zone" was fairly limited to simple dresses and Halloween costumes for my three daughters. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that my comfort zone is a place I rarely step out of. So this was a really difficult sewing project for me to start.

My daughter was very excited to be skating to "What a Feeling" from Flash Dance and she wanted a bright costume that was reminiscent of the movie but also current and trendy.

With a rather vague vision in mind, I purchased a crop top made from stretch velvet that was embellished with sparkly, metallic threads in bright colors. We purchased two different Kwik Sew dress patterns combining a tank styled top from one and a more athletic looking skirt from the second. We added fuchsia sequins to the purchased top and ruffles to the sleeves, and made the tank top portion of the dress from fuchsia Lycra. I purchased  fairly expensive, black stretch velvet for the attached skirt and briefs. I was terrified to make that first cut into such expensive fabric. I had never sewn on stretchy fabric before. It took me two days to work up my courage. I took a deep breath and started cutting. This was my first step out of my "sewing comfort zone." I was so happy with the results and my daughter claims that it is still her favorite skating dress!

handmade skating dress




Just as I began to cut out the skirt portion of this dress I had serious doubts that I could complete this on my own. I remember thinking to myself, Are you out of your mind? You're going to sew what? Hence my blog name. If I can sew it, sew can you!

With newly found confidence, I designed and sewed her next skating costume which happens to be my personal favorite. It looked spectacular on the ice! I will save that story for another day.......
       

"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot."
Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment